Pages

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Great End to a Great Year

I'm not a fan of goodbyes, but one which I always welcome is the end of a year. It always ends with the festivities of Christmas and the excitement of New Year's Eve. And then there's the exhilaration of new changes, new opportunities, and new experiences for the upcoming year. It energizes me, just like rain does.

Our second holiday season together as a married couple was even more wonderful than the last. Life with Justin just keeps getting better!

Our Christmas party filled my heart with such warmth and cheer and then our time spent with our dear family was just that...dear. Dear people together create dear memories that last forever. I am very grateful and blessed for all sides of my family.

It is always a blessing to have the in-laws visit from out-of-state and our adventures were filled with many birding trips, birding talk, and birding jokes. I can't get enough of birds!

Wood Duck = My current favorite bird
We brought loving cheer to my parents' house in Visalia as we celebrated my dad's birthday and Christmas arrived a few days later. We took my mom officially birding for the first time, where Justin and I saw two new life birds! The Wood Duck and the Green Heron were remarkable species, but my mom insisted the Mallard and Great Blue Heron were more exciting to her. To each his own. We also added the Sandhill Crane in Pixley, California on our way home.

We liked the teepee more
than the birds in this park
I, of course, spent time with my sweet kitty, Jazmine, and we all enjoyed playing our favorite card game together: Euchre (ask Marc to pronounce this for you, if you want a laugh). My dad also took Justin golfing! And, of course, we shared many laughs with Marc and Christy via Facetime in Spain!
After a Euchre hand
Gifts from "Santa"











Content with kettle corn


We also revisited CALM (California Living Museum) in Bakersfield for the holiday lights. One word: WOW! The kettle corn did not disappoint either, with Dad bringing three brown lunch bags to dibby it up for the sake of being even. And, one of our favorites always is the magical light tunnel when the train triggers it. Can't beat CALM, where I want to be anything but calm! And we finished our time in Bakersfield with a delicious meal at, of course, Coconut Joe's.



Lights EVERYWHERE
Coconut Joe's

Time spent with the in-laws was full of birding trips, as mentioned before. Our first birding trip we totaled a number of forty-one species all throughout Chula Vista and Ramona areas! The highlight (either added to our Big Year list or Life Bird list) birds were: Brandt, Eurasian Wigeon, Lesser Yellowlegs, Bufflehead, Mountain Bluebird, Lark Sparrow, Golden Eagle, Ferruginous Hawk, Bald Eagle, Prairie Falcon, and White-tailed Kite. As the Birding Master stated after our close encounter with the White-tailed Hawk at Lake Hodges Footbridge, the experience was "exhilarating." That is how I felt all day. I loved how the Brandt looked like it was wearing a pearl necklace. I loved finally being able to see the Eurasian Wigeon (the first U.S. sighting for the Birding Master). And I absolutely loved seeing the Bald Eagle flying, as I excitedly exclaimed, "That's America!"

Brandt

Eurasian Wigeon
Ferruginous Hawk
White-tailed Kite










The next day produced a small birding trip to the cemetery across the street to spot seven new species, with one of them being an encounter with a Merlin! The Birding Master and I discussed what we like most about birding. He described how relaxing birding can be and how it is an escape from life's stressors and demands. Amen.

The second big birding trip was to a neighborhood in Hemet to view Lawrence's, American, and Lesser Goldfinches, and then our trek took us to San Jacinto Wildlife Area where we ticked thirty-six birds in less than two hours! This hotspot has a wide array of wildlife and the Birding Master wished he lived close to a place like this. The birding highlights (either added to our Big Year list or Life Bird list) included: Long-billed Dowitcher, Loggerhead Shrike, Snow Goose, and Marsh Wren.

The Birding Master
Hey look! Jeremy birds too!
How could you not love San Jacinto Wildlife Area?!
Beautiful day at San Jacinto Wildlife Area




Like father, like son

White-faced Ibis
Bald Eagle flying with some gulls
Loggerhead Shrike










"Owl be home for Christmas"

Overall, we celebrated three Christmas's together this year, just like last. One with my family, one just us two with our boys, and one with his family. Goofiness and laughter exceeded all of my expectations. And I am especially proud that I got all of his family to sing the phrase "Whattttt could it be?!" each time we opened presents. I hope that stays a tradition. And I hope we are able to ceremonially present Santa Claus (Jeremy) each year down a stairway. And I hope Justin can one day finally accept that every year, without a doubt, there will be something for me from Santa under the tree that he does not know about. And I hope my parents never get rid of the larger than life size stockings that fit so well on my feet.

Mom, me, and Dad
This holiday season made my heart full with delight. I was surrounded by incredible family, friends, and birds. What more could I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment