Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

True Christmas Spirit

Cookies, trees, lights, bells, stockings, Bible stories, presents, nativity scenes.... I do it every year. I am obsessed with Christmas time. I have a new look on Christmas this year, though, and I would like to share the cheer!
Christmas 2012
As my second quarter of grad school came to a close, my human occupations class ended with a lecture on the end of life. My teacher asked us how we would spend our last day, as she referenced the book/movie "Tuesdays with Morrie." When my teacher asked us that question, I immediately thought of me and Justin's wedding. Our wedding was my favorite day of my life! We were surrounded by our loved ones and full of joy, happiness, and love. That is exactly how I would want to spend my last day. I would want to be surrounded by my friends and family, with Justin by my side.

My loved ones inspire me and fill me with strength and happiness.

A great group of people, a.k.a. loved ones
So, as we enter this Christmas season, I believe I have added a very special dynamic to my Christmas spirit: loved ones. Not that they have never been important or I have ever had a Christmas apart from loved ones.... I have just now gained a fuller understanding of their importance in my life. And I feel blessed beyond my years.
The Christmas vespers band


With all of this on my mind, we filled our home Sabbath night with thirty of our dear friends we are so blessed to have in our lives. It is times like these that we want to experience more. Being surrounded by our friends and family is such a blessing! Relationships are so important throughout life, not just for the big events.



Justin, Kobe, Lindsay, Kaitlin, and Rick
Me and Kelly's matching snowflake earrings

One of many Descanso Gardens' trails





Then, on Sunday, my bestie and I had our second annual crafting in the park holiday date. (Thank you Descanso Gardens for being the perfect backdrop for our laughter.) These special holiday dates make for a blissful day of reminiscing over old memories, plugging in inside jokes whenever we can, and creating as many new memories together as possible, with tangible items to remind us of each other :)




Could the lighting be any worse? And could a whole
room just for a Christmas tree be any greater?!
Working hard on tricky bracelet crafts



I look forward to the rest of our holiday season with full delight! Things to come: Christmas light tour with the sister-in-law, birding with the in-laws (including the one and only Birding Master!), traversing up north to see the parents, skyping with the sister and brother-in-law in France, a New Year's Eve party thrown by the best husband in the world, and just enough time left for some spontaneity.

As I think of Tuesdays with Morrie, I think about our wedding and I am cognizant that some day we will have our funerals, and that both days will be full of loved ones. I challenge myself with the thought of why not filling as many days in between those two events with them as well? I know life is going to fly by and I want to make sure I am in constant and full realization of what true blessings I have in my family and friends.

Thank you, loved ones! I am truly blessed to have a life full of such great people.

Cookies, trees, lights, bells, stockings, Bible stories, presents, nativity scenes, and the joy of realizing I am surrounded by my loved ones! Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Will you still be willing to skype us...in Spain? ;) Can't wait! Love you!

    ReplyDelete