Pages

Monday, May 11, 2015

Happy Happy Bird Day (Weekend)!

How do I sum up the best birthday I have ever had?! I had no clue 27 would feel this superb! The
past few birthday have felt pretty mediocre or blah-ze. I think that goes to say just how powerful positive thinking truly is. I was absolutely determined to have nothing less than a fabulous birthday this time around! Or should I say, "BIRD DAY?!"

My overly-organized self created a list of 27 amazing things to do on Friday. Here is just a quick snippet of a few of my favorites:
Carolyn's coffee cake!
Hot chocolate, heavy on
the whipped cream!
Walking to the mailbox in my
Christmas socks and owl
slippers with Kobe dearest



Dancing around the house
to Owl City!
Birthday cards from family
and 3-juice mixed drink!
Super Sushi 






"10 Minutes Ago I saw you..."
I love braids


Best smell ever!
Thankful journal entry
27 feels good!












Maltby Cake
It was a day to remember, but, not only that, it was a weekend to remember!

The following day, we ventured to our first-ever renaissance faire! First, but not our last! Well, only if there is a birds of prey show each time.... Talk about something far exceeding my expectations! Sky Kings put on a bird show I will never forget! The show was complete with a Laughing Kookaburra, 2 Harris's Hawks, a Black Vulture, an Eurasian Eagle Owl, a White-backed Vulture, and, Lenore, some type of collared Raven.

A few highlights of each:
The Laughing Kookaburra actually laughed for us! The Harris's Hawks flew so close over our heads, we had to duck down, and we still felt the breeze over us! What a rush of adrenaline! The Black Vulture had an absolutely huge wing span! The White-back Vulture devoured a chicken leg in 5 seconds! But the best part was when the owl came out, flew to a perch, flew to another perch, then decided to fly, fly, fly, fly right over the on-stage perch and straight out of the tent into who knows where, but not in the show! He did not come back for our show, unfortunately, but what a funny turn of events! The star of the show flies away! Another amazing part was how they trained Lenore to take dollar bills from a person's hand and stuff it in a collection box. If she messed up, she could be reprimanded, and she would fix her mistake and take the next bill. What skill! (And brilliant way to get easy tips!)

Cute little thing

Harris Hawk
Harris Hawk taking off
Harris Hawk




Stunning!









Beautiful!

Black Vulture landing
The White-backed Vulture was rather aggressive, despite its clipped wings
Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area -- Renaissance Pleasure Faire 2015
The rest of the Renaissance Pleasure Faire was fun and we came back with some amazing souvenirs (a medieval-looking ceramic mug, homemade soap, a special garlic seasoning, and a metal hummingbird decoration). We also got to scout out a great new location to go birding at, although, I don't recommend lugging around a pair of binoculars in your purse for hours. The price birders have to pay.... It was worth it, though. Those "nocks," as I like to call them, gave us a great opportunity to see Cliff and Barn Swallows flying around slower than their usual speed, and we also saw 2 beautiful Forster's Terns!
Love Birds
Our next adventure led us to The Master's College for a quick drive-thru tour with a few snapshots, dedicated to Christy Swagerty.
Surprise visit!
And this adventure led us to our next: meeting the parents at Stonefire! It was a lovely time for celebrating one day late for my birthday and one day early for Mother's Day, but, as my mother and I know, every Mother's Day should be my birthday since that is how it all started 27 years ago.

This is what is known as the best
meal in the whole entire world
You would think the bird day weekend adventure would stop here, but, alas! No! We need more birds!

To make a long story short, we got a hold of an established and well-known birder's email around town through a birding website. One thing led to the next and, before we knew it, we had a scheduled birding outing to Montecito Memorial Park for Sunday morning at 7:30! This was a big deal. We were going to be birding with the big timer!

And then, guess what?! The big timer turns out to be a student at Loma Linda University as well, knows my husband's brother, his dad may know my husband's grandpa, and his sister is graduating from the same occupational therapy program as me! Small world!

We meet up to bird and are instantly amazed by his ability to identify birds by their call. That is my long-term birding goal that I am no where close to as of now! We started making an extensive list of sightings as we slowly strolled through the park while sharing bird stories back and forth. Shortly into our outing, his dad pulls up to join us! The four of us have such a grand time birding!

Check out our ebird list here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23358538.

Justin is doing another Big Year this year, but I am only working on building up my Life Bird list. This outing helped boost both of our lists!

What a perfect birthday (bird day!) present to get 13 new life birds in just a few hours! (It's going to get harder and harder to gain life birds as my list grows, but with a current list at 183 North American species and 218 world species, I still can have amazing birding trips that boost up my numbers quickly!).

1. Wrentit
2. California Quail (!!!!!!)
3. Western Tanager
4. Pacific-slope Flycatcher
5. Olive-sided Flycatcher
6. Swainson's Thrush
7. Great Horned Owl (!!!!!!)
8. Willow Flycatcher
9. Western Wood Pewee
10. Black-headed Grosbeak
11. Costa's Hummingbird
12. Black-chinned Hummingbird
13. Calliope Hummingbird

I went into this birding adventure hoping I can just see a California Quail and a Great Horned Owl. My expectations were more than exceeded!

The best part about our trip is, we not only had a great birding outing, but we made a great connection with this wonderful family in town and have made new friends! The last 3 new life birds for me were seen in their backyard because they invited us over to look at their feeders while drinking coffee! (How they make the most amazing coffee we have ever tasted will have to wait for another blog!)
In love

It was at their house where I met 3 lovely and beautiful and friendly and silly racing pigeons that are going to be used for therapy! Saturn, Mercury, and Jupiter are going to be great! Now if I can only remember which was which!

Justin assured me we can get me some pigeon pets whenever we are able to buy a house. I await that day with eagerness!
2 new friends!
Combination of overwhelming excitement
and terror it would peck my eyes out!
God is good! He reminded me of his continual goodness with all of the multitudes of blessings he showered upon me over this weekend. And, speaking of showers! This was the first birthday I can ever remember where it was stormy, rainy, overcast, cloudy, and crisp at different times throughout the weekend. What joy! My love for rain continues to grow!

Xoxo,

One very happy girl who is in love with God, her husband, family, pets, birds, rain, and all things joyful!


No comments:

Post a Comment